Sunday, August 31, 2008

www.alexmillsdesign.com

Tonight I finally finished my very first website, check it out here or at the address in the title (which ever floats your boat). Right now I have most of my portfolio on it, software is coming very soon once I get preview versions out but my photo library was pulled at the last minute because the gallery did not me my expectations. Check it out and let me know what you think? I used iWeb for this release but I want to use something with more power like Dreamweaver but I prefer the price of Expression Web, what would you recommend?

It has been an interesting journey and one of the most important things I have learned is that each browser on each different platform will render a website differently. Any image that required a shadow had to be created using an image editor, shapes or images that have shadows added to them iWeb do not show up in Firefox or Camino but work fine in Safari and Internet Explorer 7 & 8. The website has been online most of the day (but still hidden) for testing using the following browsers:

Mac
Firefox 3
Camino 1.6
Safari 4 (Developer Preview)

Windows
Firefox 3
Safari 3
Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1

Here are some of the things I have found out during testing: Internet Explorer isn't that hot on alignment, Firefox is just plain slow and Safari surprisingly is the best web experience on windows mainly due to it's own font rendering system. Fonts in Windows Vista are not anti-aliased 90% of the time which means they look sharp and horrible so Safari is a welcome change. In my testing and general use the fastest browser for each platform is Safari on Windows and Camino on Mac which is the fastest browser on the planet. You may have different results but these are very general :)

No comments: